print PRINT

POLITICS

Sankei-FNN poll: 64% say “support for former comfort women should be given after statue is removed”

  • 2016-01-26 15:00:00
  • , Sankei
  • Translation

(Sankei: January 26, 2016 – p. 1)

 

 The Sankei Shimbun and Fuji News Network (FNN) jointly conducted an opinion poll on Jan. 23–24. The survey included questions about the agreement reached by Japan and South Korea last December about the comfort women issue. When asked about the timing of the contribution of about 1 billion yen by the Japanese government to a foundation to provide support to former comfort women, 64.1% of respondents said that the contribution “should be made after the comfort woman statue in front of the Japanese embassy in Seoul has been removed” while 24.1% said that “the contribution should be made regardless of the timing of the removal of the statue.”

 

 The support rate for the Abe cabinet was 48.5%, up by 0.7 points from the previous poll (conducted by the Sankei Shimbun and Fuji News Network on Dec. 13–14, 2015), while the nonsupport rate was 40.1%, a 1.1 point decrease. When asked when the next House of Representatives elections should be held, 31.7% responded that “the elections should be held on the same day as this summer’s House of Councillors elections” and 28.1% said that “the elections should not be held on the same day as the House of Councillors elections but should be held this year.” Together this means that 59.8% of pollees think it would be desirable for Lower House elections to be held this year. (Abridged)

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Ambassador
  • Ukraine
  • OPINION POLLS
  • COVID-19
  • Trending Japan