(Sankei: February 27, 2016 – p. 1)
The following items have been confirmed by the Democratic Party of Japan (DPJ) and the Japan Innovation Party (JIP) regarding their establishment of a new political party:
· Aim to launch the new party by the end of March at the latest.
· Set up a preparatory council tasked with looking into the new party’s policy platform and rules.
· To create the party, the method where the DPJ “retains its organizational structure and absorbs” the JIP shall be adopted. An objective approach shall be taken in deciding the name of the new party.
· Approve each decision reached by the preparatory council as it is made.
· Enhance consultations on the selection of candidates for House of Councillors and House of Representatives elections.
· Swiftly elect a president for the new party after the summer Upper House elections once party members have been recruited.
· Call on other opposition parties to rally together, premised on consistency of principles and policies.