The following is the monthly ranking of bestsellers released by book wholesaler Nippan Shuppan Hanbai Inc. (NIPPAN) on March 31:
1. Oyasumi Roger Maho no Gussuri Ehon by Carl-Johan Forssen Ehrlin (translated by Miho Mitsuhashi)
[The Rabbit Who Wants To Fall Asleep: A New Way of Getting Children to Sleep]
This is a picture book for children written by a Swedish behavioral scientist.
2. Tensai by Shintaro Ishihara, former politician
The author is a former outspoken politician and leading advocate of a group opposing former Prime Minister Kakuei Tanaka. In this book, he writes about why he now admires Kakuei Tanaka. Ishihara won the Akutagawa Prize in literature for his work “Taiyo no Kisetsu” (Season of the Sun).
3. Shiawaseninaru Yuki by Ichiro Kishimi, philosopher, and Fumitake Koga, writer
[Courage to Be Happy]
The book teaches people how to live happily by using Alfred Adler’s psychoanalytical theory. It is a sequel to the book “Kirawareru Yuki” (Courage to Be Disliked).
4. Mata Onaji Yume o Miteita by Yoru Sumino
[Again I Had the Same Dream]
The book is the author’s second book following the bestseller “Kimi no Suizo o Tabetai” (I Want to Eat Your Pancreas). It is about a young girl who has no friends at school and is trying to understand the meaning of happiness.
5. Kimi no Suizo o Tabetai by Yoru Sumino
[I Want to Eat Your Pancreas]
This book is about a boy who finds a diary written by his classmate and learns that she is suffering from a fatal disease of the pancreas and not expected to live more than a year.