- Basic principles and policies will be stipulated concerning the promotion of construction of designated areas for tourism complexes.
- “Specified tourism complexes” will accommodate casinos, conference halls, recreation and exhibition facilities, lodging, and other facilities. Construction and operation will be undertaken by private firms.
- “Designated areas for tourism complexes” will be approved by the national government based on applications from local authorities.
- The basic policy is to invest proceeds from sound casinos operated under the supervision of the government into society, as well as building attractive hotel resorts that can compete with overseas facilities and contributing to the promotion of the local economy.
- The necessary legal measures must be implemented within a year of the enforcement of this law.
[Basic provisions on the promotion of construction of designated areas for tourism complexes]
- To prevent adverse effects of casino use by guests other than foreign visitors, the government will take necessary measures, such as the introduction of entry restrictions.
- A casino control commission will be set up as an external organ of the Cabinet Office and will impose regulations on those involved in casino operations.
- The state and local governments can collect levies from those who set up and operate casino facilities.
[Headquarters to promote the construction of designated areas for tourism complexes]
- To promote the construction of designated areas in a comprehensive and intensive fashion, headquarters will be set up inside the Cabinet to oversee this task.
- The headquarters will be headed by the Prime Minister.
- The headquarters will launch a “conference to promote the construction of designated areas for tourism complexes,” which will include up to 20 academic experts.