print PRINT


What English titles will be used for members of Imperial Family after His Majesty the Emperor abdicates?

When His Majesty the Emperor abdicates the Chrysanthemum Throne, he will become “Joko-sama” in Japanese, but what will his English title be? The Imperial Household Agency has announced that his official title in English will be “His Majesty the Emperor Emeritus.” (Abridged)


  • Joko-sama: His Majesty the Emperor Emeritus
  • Jokogo-sama: Her Majesty the Empress Emerita
  • Tenno-heika: His Majesty the Emperor
  • Kogo-sama: Her Majesty the Empress
  • Aiko-sama: Her Imperial Highness Princess Aiko
  • Koshi (Akishinonomiya) sama: His Imperial Highness the Crown Prince
  • Koshihi (Kiko) sama: Her Imperial Highness the Crown Princess
  • Mako-sama: Her Imperial Highness Princess Mako
  • Kako-sama: Her Imperial Highness Princess Kako
  • Hisahito-sama: His Imperial Highness Prince Hisahito
  • Ambassador
  • Ukraine
  • COVID-19
  • Trending Japan