Tokyo, March 25 (Jiji Press) – -Former Nissan Motor Co. <7201> Chairman Carlos Ghosn is considering holding as early as on April 10 the first press conference since his release on bail earlier this month, his defense team revealed Monday.
According to the team, Ghosn, 65, is expected to answer questions at the news conference. Chief defense lawyer Junichiro Hironaka will accompany Ghosn, who has been indicted on charges of aggravate breach of trust and financial misconduct.
Mitsubishi Motors Corp., Nissan’s Japanese alliance partner, and Nissan will hold board meetings on Tuesday and Wednesday, respectively. But Ghosn, who was also Mitsubishi Motors chairman, will miss both meetings, Hironaka said.
Conditions for Ghosn’s release on bail from detention include restrictions on contact with people involved with his alleged wrongdoings, including Nissan officials. Tokyo District Court did not approve Ghosn’s request for attending a Nissan board meeting on March 12.
Meanwhile, informed sources said Tokyo public prosecutors struck deals under the country’s plea bargaining system with two people, including a non-Japanese Nissan executive, between Oct. 31 and Nov. 1 last year.
In return for the prosecutors to drop charges against the two, they promised to provide relevant documents and cooperate with the investigation. Ghosn was arrested for the first time on Nov. 19, for alleged underreporting of his executive pay.