The officer in command of US forces in South Korea says the military threat posed by North Korea remains unchanged.
US Army General Robert Abrams was speaking at a House Armed Services Committee hearing on Wednesday.
Abrams told lawmakers that despite a reduction in tension along the demilitarized zone coupled with engagement to denuclearize by Pyongyang, “little to no verifiable change” has occurred to North Korea’s military capabilities.
After the second US-North Korea summit in Vietnam last month ended without agreement, a US research group that analyzed satellite imagery of a missile launch site in the North said the site appears to have returned to normal operational status.
Abrams said, “Their activity we have observed is inconsistent with denuclearization.”
Lawmakers voiced concern that scrapping major military drills with South Korea might result in reduced defense capabilities.
Abrams said there have been 82 combined South Korea and US training exercises at appropriate echelons since November, indicating there are no effects on training.