print PRINT

SOCIETY

Gov’t mulls postponing Emperor Naruhito’s enthronement parade

  • October 17, 2019
  • , Kyodo News , 1:22 p.m.
  • English Press

TOKYO – The Japanese government is leaning towards postponing an enthronement parade for Emperor Naruhito slated for Tuesday to deal with damage caused by last weekend’s powerful typhoon, government officials said Thursday.

 

While the government had earlier set Oct. 26 as an alternative date for the parade in the event of inclement weather on Tuesday, it is likely to newly set a much later date for the event, a senior official of the Imperial Household Agency said.

 

The enthronement ceremony on the same day is expected to be held as planned. Dignitaries from over 190 countries and international organizations will attend the ceremony for Emperor Naruhito, who ascended the throne on May 1.

 

In the parade, the emperor and Empress Masako will parade in a convertible sedan, traveling along the approximately 5-kilometer route from the Imperial Palace to the Akasaka Palace in around 30 minutes.

 

Typhoon Hagibis left 77 people dead and more than a dozen people missing after it lashed Tokyo and other areas in central, eastern and northeastern regions Saturday.

 

More than 1,700 houses were fully or partially destroyed, while over 33,000 houses were flooded.

  • Ambassador
  • Ukraine
  • OPINION POLLS
  • COVID-19
  • Trending Japan