print PRINT

INTERNATIONAL > Middle East

Senior GOJ officials comment on Middle East situation

  • January 7, 2020
  • , NHK digital
  • JMH Summary

NHK reported on its website that Chief Cabinet Secretary Suga commented on the announcement by the Iranian government that it will no longer abide by the commitments it made under the 2015 nuclear deal and will reinforce its nuclear enrichment program. Suga reportedly said: “Our nation supports the nuclear deal. The announcement by Iran is regrettable and we are very concerned. We will urge Iran to abide by the nuclear deal and fully cooperate with the IAEA.” He reportedly went on to say: “We will continue to work with relevant nations and international organizations and make diplomatic efforts to ease tensions and bring stability to the Middle East.” Concerning Japan’s plan to deploy SDF assets to the Middle East, Suga reportedly said: “We are closely monitoring the situation in the Middle East with a sense of urgency. We will continue to work to obtain the understanding of relevant nations concerning the purpose of deploying the SDF.” Meanwhile, on the U.S. military’s killing of an Iranian commander, Suga reportedly said: “I should refrain from commenting since I am not the party in charge and not in a position to fully grasp the details.”

 

The network also quoted Defense Minister Kono as telling reporters today: “It is true that tensions are rising in the Middle East, but many nations are calling on the U.S. and Iran to exercise restraint. It is unlikely that this will develop into a major conflict, but various things could happen.” In addition, Kono reportedly commented on the cabinet decision to deploy SDF assets to the Middle East last month. He said: “At this point, we don’t expect to change the cabinet decision.”

  • Ambassador
  • Ukraine
  • OPINION POLLS
  • COVID-19
  • Trending Japan