print PRINT

SCIENCE > Health

Vast majority of Japanese apprehensive about 2nd wave of coronavirus, Yomiuri poll

  • June 8, 2020
  • , The Japan News , 1:23 p.m.
  • English Press

More than 90% of respondents expressed concern about a possible second wave of infections with the new coronavirus in a nationwide survey conducted by The Yomiuri Shimbun.

 

The survey found 52% of respondents were greatly concerned about a second wave, while 39% said they were somewhat concerned, showing some level of worry among a total of 91%.

 

Those who said they would continue their “new way of life” to prevent infection accounted for 88%.

 

The poll asked respondents whether they thought the government “should declare a state of emergency promptly to safeguard people’s health” if there is another outbreak of the disease in the nation, or if such a move “should be carefully examined while considering the impact on the economy.”

 

A total of 61% thought a state of emergency should be newly declared, exceeding the 36% who opted for careful deliberation while considering the economy.

 

People who thought it should be considered along with the impact on the economy were most common among respondents in Tokyo’s 23 wards and in major cities designated by government ordinance (41%), and the least common in small cities with populations of 100,000 or less (28%).

 

The Yomiuri also asked people’s opinion about the fact that the government’s declaration of a state of emergency cannot legally block residents from going out, and that it mainly calls for self-restraint by the public.

 

Among the survey’s respondents, 58% said that was sufficient, while 36% said it was not. In a poll conducted in April, when the government declared a state of emergency, 33% of respondents said the non-binding declaration was enough and 59% said it was not.

 

This reversal may be due to the success in stemming the spread of the virus due to about two months of self-restraint in going out.

 

The survey was conducted from Friday to Sunday by telephone. The Yomiuri Shimbun obtained answers from 1,102 respondents.

  • Ambassador
  • Ukraine
  • OPINION POLLS
  • COVID-19
  • Trending Japan