print PRINT

SOCIETY

Japanese abductee families regret Abe’s resignation

Tokyo, Aug. 29 (Jiji Press)–Families of Japanese citizens abducted to North Korea Friday regretted the resignation of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, who had made the abduction issue a top priority.

 

“I wanted him to stay as prime minister until a resolution is reached,” said Akihiro Arimoto, the 92-year-old father of Keiko, who was abducted at the age of 23.

 

Sakie Yokota, the 84-year-old mother of Megumi, who was abducted at the age of 13, said, “It’s regrettable, but can’t be helped.”

 

“We want a successor to take over the task and do it while sharing the same feeling with us,” she said.

 

Hitomi Soga, a 61-year-old former abductee, said, “Whoever will become prime minister should make a great deal of effort until all abductees return home.”

 

Kenichi Ichikawa, the 75-year-old brother of Shuichi, who was abducted at the of 23, expressed gratitude to Abe for his efforts. “Abe had been committed to a solution than any of his predecessors,” he said.

  • Ambassador
  • Ukraine
  • OPINION POLLS
  • COVID-19
  • Trending Japan