print PRINT

SOCIETY > Sports

Holding of Tokyo Games wanted by 36% in Japan poll, while 28% want it canceled, Yomiuri poll

  • February 8, 2021
  • , The Japan News , 2:19 p.m.
  • English Press

About a third of people want the The Tokyo Games to be held this summer, according to The Yomiuri Shimbun’s recent poll.

 

Amid the pandemic, 8% of respondents said the Games should be held with spectators, while 28% said they should be held without spectators, totaling 36% of people with a positive attitude toward the Games.

 

Yoshiro Mori, president of the Tokyo organizing committee, said on Jan. 28 that the organizers have been simulating a scenario regarding the possibility of holding the Games without crowds.

 

On the other hand, 33% of poll respondents said the Olympics and Paralympics should be postponed again and 28% want the Games to be canceled.

 

When respondents were asked what they thought the infection situation would become by the summer, 56% said it would remain unchanged, 37% said it would improve and 3% said it would worsen.

 

Of the respondents who thought it would improve, almost 50% are positive about hosting the Games, with 13% wanting the event to be held with spectators and 35% without.

 

Among respondents who said the situation would not change, 5% want the Games to be held with spectators and 23% without.

 

Regarding vaccinations, 70% said they believe more vaccinations will help contain the novel coronavirus, far higher than the 20% who did not believe so.

 

Respondents were also asked if they would like to be vaccinated, and 18% said they want to right away, 65% said they want to but not right away, and 15% said they did not want to. Among people 70 and over, 24% said they want to get inoculated as soon as possible, the highest percentage among all age brackets.

  • Ambassador
  • Ukraine
  • OPINION POLLS
  • COVID-19
  • Trending Japan