Tokyo, Oct. 5 (Jiji Press)–The Japanese government will consider when to resume its Go To Travel discount campaign, new tourism minister Tetsuo Saito said Tuesday.
“We’ll consider the timing of the resumption and its content,” Saito told his inaugural news conference, referring to the domestic tourism promotion campaign, which was suspended across the country late last year due to the spread of the novel coronavirus.
The Go To Travel program covers 50 pct of the travel costs, with the ceiling set at 20,000 yen per person per night of stay.
It provides discounts equivalent to 35 pct of the travel costs and coupons worth 15 pct of such costs that can be used mainly for shopping at travel destinations.
The program is “essential to maintain and revitalize tourist spots and regional economies,” Saito said.
“The government will work as one to realize (Japan as) a tourism-oriented country,” he also said, showing an intention to maintain the state-set goal of raising the number of foreign visitors to Japan to 60 million in 2030.