JAPAN MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
Afternoon Alert   -   Tuesday, September 10, 2019
The following information reflects the reporting of the cited news media and does not reflect the opinions of the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo. Japan Media Highlights is intended for USG use only and should not be forwarded. Visit the website here. For more information, contact TokyoMATT@state.gov.

HEADLINES

Noon news

NHK and all commercial networks led with reports on the damage caused by Typhoon Faxai including a blackout affecting more than 600,000 households in Chiba Prefecture.

INTERNATIONAL

DPRK fires two projectiles

NHK and all commercial networks reported on an announcement made by South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff that North Korea fired projectiles from South Pyongan Province at around 6:53 a.m. and 7:12 a.m. on Tuesday and they flew about 330 km. The ROK military said it is working with the U.S. military to collect and analyze information. The broadcasters noted that this was the eighth time since July 25 for North Korea to launch projectiles. NHK speculated that the latest launch was aimed at applying pressure on the United States. NHK reported that Chief Cabinet Secretary Suga told the press this morning that the launch posed no direct threat to Japan's security.

Former Ambassador Hagerty launches campaign for Senate

NHK reported online that former U.S. Ambassador to Japan William Hagerty officially announced a bid to become Tennessee's next U.S. Senator. The network said that he posted a video on his Twitter account on Monday saying that he has officially launched his campaign for the election in November 2020.

Editorial: China is increasing its influence in Pacific Island nations (Nikkei)

Cartoon: St. Vladimir's (Tokyo Shimbun)

Japan's budget on N. Korea goes unused amid stalled abduction talks (Kyodo News)

ECONOMY

Senior USG officials expect U.S.-Japan trade agreement to be signed soon

NHK reported that concerning the rough trade agreement reached between the United States and Japan last month, Secretary of the Treasury Mnuchin and Secretary of State Pompeo both indicated preparations are underway for the agreement to be signed by the two nations' leaders later this month. The network quoted Secretary Mnuchin as telling reporters at the White House on Monday that negotiations went well and an agreement will formally be signed very soon. The broadcaster reported that Secretary Pompeo tweeted he is looking forward to "a completed deal at UNGA."

Japan business lobby chief says S. Korea rift, Brexit still big risks (Kyodo News)

Nihon Plast to build new warehouse in U.S. (NIKKEI Business Daily)

POLITICS

Prime minister's schedule on Sept. 8 – Sept. 9, 2019 (Sankei)

Kantei increasing its influence in Upper House (Asahi)

Deputy Chief Cabinet Secretary Sugita to remain in post (Mainichi)

Hagiuda, Nishimura likely to get ministerial posts in Abe cabinet (Jiji Press)

Komeito leader struggles to keep appropriate distance from PM Abe (Asahi)

Akahata's readership dips below 1 million (Sankei)

Cartoon: Kono the counterpuncher (Tokyo Shimbun)

OPINION POLLS

Yomiuri-Waseda Univ. opinion poll & results from Yomiuri Shimbun (Yomiuri)

SCIENCE

MEXT requests 14.8 billion yen for lunar orbital platform (NIKKEI Business Daily)

SOCIETY

Hitachi ordered to improve biz over foreign trainees (Jiji Press)

SECURITY

National Astronomical Observatory mulls accepting military research projects (Tokyo Shimbun)

Japan, U.K. to jointly hold trade fair for defense equipment in Japan (Sankei)

OKINAWA LOCAL PRESS

Okinawa governor plans to visit U.S. in October

Ryukyu Shimpo and Okinawa Times wrote that when giving remarks in Osaka on Monday, Okinawa Governor Tamaki expressed his intention to visit the United States in October or later. Ryukyu Shimpo speculated that Tamaki is planning to urge USG officials to review the ongoing FRF construction at Henoko. Okinawa Times wrote that according to a senior prefectural official, the governor is making arrangements to meet with U.S. government officials and lawmakers.

Okinawa governor expresses displeasure over resumption of CH-53 flights

Ryukyu Shimpo and Okinawa Times reported on a statement released on Sunday by Okinawa Governor Tamaki in response to Saturday's resumption of Futenma-based CH-53E flights after a window fell into the sea from one of the Marine helicopters. The papers wrote that the governor expressed displeasure by saying that the U.S. military's decision to unilaterally resume the flights is unacceptable because the prefecture called on the U.S. side to suspend the flights for one week and investigate the cause of the incident.

JAPAN MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
USAGE POLICY     ABOUT THIS SITE     FAQ     PRIVACY POLICY
U.S. Embassy Tokyo Media Analysis and Translation Team